OUPD301 Summary Statement

Monday 28 May 2012

OUPD301 Summary Statement


My aim this year was to gain as much experience in the industry as possible. I wanted to establish a range of contacts within the industry to hopefully help my profession in the future. I have managed to do this through a variety of different avenues. Whether it be the placement at the beginning of the year with popcorn studio, which helped shape my design practice, or entering competition briefs. . Attending the organised portfolio surgeries, which led to me creating contacts and securing a months placement at the end of June with Beautiful Meme. As well as securing the placement i've also managed to get a placement with ISC who are a completely different company and will give me a different look on the design market.
I have really pushed myself this year to try and get as much out being uni, and using this to open doors. Helping me contact companies that ordinarily i wouldn't, and getting responses which were amazing, especially from companies such as Moving Brands.
As mentioned, over the year i have entered a variety of different competions, such as Leeds Inspire Create and Sh!Awards and i was shortlisted in both of them. This led to me getting my work exhibited, and i was able to speak to a variety of different creative directors from a range of different companies such as; Thompsons Brand Partners, Brass and Numiko. All of this has been really helpful because i now have those contacts, and its something that will hopefully help in the future.
Throughout this year i have been keeping in contact with the guys at Popcorn, through emails and visits. This led to them offering me a short term position at their company, which unfortunately i had to turn down due to logistics and finance, however i am hoping to visit them and maybe line-up working for them from a free-lance position.
I am aiming to stay up North, and i will keep pursuing contacts and opportunities as much as possible. I will also be trying to attend as many networking events as possible.
This year has really helped shape the designer i want to be and the companies i want to work for. I am looking forward to the placement i have lined up over summer as these will keep me focused and help kick start my professional career. I am nervous, excited but more than anything ready.

0 comments: