TASK 3 - How will i promote myself?

Tuesday 25 January 2011

TASK 3 - How will i promote myself?
What do they want to hear?
What should i say to them?
How will i communicate with them?
After studying the marketing communication mix thoroughly i have decided the best avenues for me to explore within them are; personal selling, publicity, direct mail and PR/Advertising. Firstly personal selling is a great asset to me as a designer it gives me opportunities to network within the creative industry and how people who i am. This would be done through exhibitions, trade fairs, D and AD talks etc. Secondly by putting myself out there i would be creating my own publicity through branding myself as a product through medias such as business cards. Another important avenue is direct mail, instead of just phoning companies or emailing them by sending them my CV through the mail, for example, means that i am covering ever basis of creating a relationship with an agency and it becomes more personal. As a general overview PR and advertising is fundamental to me becoming a successful designer and creating a name for myself, this is because it involves me making relations with client and companies and expanding myself.
With regards to methods i would use to get myself out there, there are a few that i thin would be more successful for me as a person and a designer. Its important for me to be seen at netwroking events and be as visually engaging as possible. For example using business cards, they need to reflect me and what i do because clients need to see both sides of me to remember me. Also as i have a blog it would be good for me to interact with other blogs whether they be freelance designers of company blogs. This will give me an insight to the designers and how they work and how i can work with them. It will already show me engaging with their system and show i will quite easily slip into their way or working. The blogs will also help my name circulate around the industry through companies and talking which is very important. Its important, at these networking events to try and how as much about me, as a person and a designer so that clients could feel comfortable with me and trust me. 
Another method to help engage my potential client is to have something to show them at these networking events and just about anywhere else really. For me, I can create a small portfolio of my best work on my iPhone. Within this portfolio its essential that i show enough versatility so that i can do whatever the company would want from me. From this i can engage the client by asking them what they think of the work and whether its applicable to what they already do. This stage for me as a designer is essential as it will really start to develop relationships with people. I would have to be clear in telling them not only who i am as a person but who i am as a designer. So that they understand my morals and views on aspects o life as well as showing them my knowledge of the industry. 
I want to be able to show them through my business cards and portfolios (both on my phone and online) that i am invaluable to them. Showing them my range of skills from software to idea generation and concept building. I know i have a lot to offer companies and i feel in situations like these, networking, that i need to advertise myself well and as an attractive bundle. 
I feel that the place that would give me the most competitive edge is social occasions such as events and fairs, by being fully prepared with the methods i have looked at for myself. Being confident in both myself and my work, should help deliver a pitch about me as a product to companies and clients. 

1 comments:

jane denton said...

there's your business name -'the attractive bundle'-loving that.good idea about putting work on iphone-a portable,daily folio.